Employees are vital to any organization. However, the process of bringing a new hire into an organization is often frustrating for the newly hired employee, and unproductive for the employer. Onboarding a new employee is a complex process involving many people across many departments. The process also involves learning, networking, resource allocating, and goal setting. Too much time spent collating, distributing, and collecting paper work for new hires.
Inefficient onboarding processes extend the time it takes a new employee to become productive. Organizations waste millions of dollars every year with manual processes to onboard new hires. Besides losing productivity, poorly managed onboarding can cause firms to have problems with employee retention.
According to an August 2006 study by the Aberdeen Group, an estimated 90 percent of employees decide whether to remain in an organization within six months of being hired. If the onboarding process doesn't go smoothly, employees are more likely to exit an organization. In addition, the study revealed that 71 percent of companies still manage critical onboarding processes with little or no strategic planning. Studies also have shown that on average it costs about 1.5 to 3 times an employee’s annual salary to replace that employee when he/she leaves. For example, it would cost a company roughly $75,000-$150,000 in recruiting costs, training expenses, and lost productivity to replace someone who made $50,000 a year.
Smart Employee Onboarding automates and streamlines a variety of business functions including Payroll, Benefits, HRMS/Talent Management, IT, Finance, Facilities Management, Procurement, Learning, Goals and Expectations Setting, Logistics, Mentoring, Security and more. Designed to work seamlessly with your core Human Capital Management application, Smart Onboarding is a robust tool that supports industry best practices throughout the employee lifecycle, including preboarding, onboarding and offboarding. And since Employee Onboarding is completely configurable, conditional criteria can be defined to tailor each user’s experience based on their job, organization, geographic location, management level or other variables. Flexible enough to use for employees, contractors, consultants and temporary workers, Smart Onboarding has an intuitive interface that provides workers, managers and administrators an easy-to-navigate, consistent experience. As depicted below, by automating the onboarding processes, employees can be productive from day one, saving time and money.
New employee onboarding is one of the most time-consuming processes in any HR department, involving many manual steps and redundant data entry because of paper forms. These forms can be lost or misplaced, and even when they’re completed and approved, they must be scanned into the content and document management systems.
Day one for each employee should be about getting started on the job, not about paperwork. The Smart Onboarding solution eliminates the hassle, wasted time and paper from the process, providing all electronic forms needed to get a new hire up and running immediately. With Electronic Forms, Task and Compliance Management, you can eliminate paper and data entry errors and shrink cycle time.
Task lists to guide employees through important activities that must be completed during the onboarding period. Based on organizational business practices, dependencies may be identified to enforce the order in which tasks are completed, with employees prevented from progressing through activities until all necessary prerequisites have been completed. Sample functions included in Smart Onboarding include, but are not limited to:
- I-9/W-4 completion
- Direct Deposit setup
- Benefits review and enrollment
- Corporate credit card enrollment
- Facilities provisioning (such as badging, office space and systems access)
- Required learning and certification
- Learning program enrollment
- Performance goals identification and assessment
- Development plan creation
It’s important for new employees to quickly become familiar with the organization. Using a personalized new hire portal of Smart Onboarding solution, employees will be presented with multi-media content such as embedded videos, online slide presentations or documentation that helps familiarize them with the company culture, expectations for their role and the people they’ll be working with. Our embedded collaboration tool allows employees to request assistance or otherwise communicate online with process administrators or managers throughout the onboarding process.
Employee Onboarding is delivered with both administrator and manager consoles designed to provide visibility into the onboarding process. Using both pre-formatted and ad-hoc reports, users can view onboarding progress data and statistics in a graphical, interactive format providing both summary information and the ability to drill into details. These tools allow administrators and managers to quickly and easily identify outstanding tasks requiring their attention, bottlenecks in the onboarding process and employees who are experiencing delays in completing onboarding activities.
An optional module available, the built-in E-Verify integration ensures regulatory compliance and saves your organization time and money. Replace traditional paper-based Form I-9 with an easy-to-use online form that integrates with Homeland Security’s E-Verify, supports online records retention and is the first solution to successfully complete the rigors of the Oracle Validated Integration process.
Look and Feel
The onboarding experience introduces the new employee to the organization and sets the stage for the employee’s further engagement with the company. The participants of Smart Onboarding process will experience a “Web 2.0” look and feel. Smart Onboarding offers many configurable user-interface and experience options to brand your company colors, images, navigation options for seamless user experience. Below are a few samples of some of the Smart Onboarding User Interface options that can be deployed.
Best practice options in Smart Onboarding:
- Begin the onboarding process before a new employee’s first day on the job and extend it through the first six months of employment.
- Identify business issues that can be addressed by onboarding and put in place programs and measures to reinforce those business issues.
- Use Onboarding as part of your organization’s recruiting strategy.
- Track new employee performance and respond proactively.
- Make "socialization" a primary component of onboarding.
- Broaden the horizon of onboarding initiatives.
- Automated onboarding process.
- Identify the business issues that you want to improve and can be addressed in the early stages of a new employee's career with your company.
- Gain senior management (non-HR C-level) buy-in and formalize an Onboarding strategy that addresses the desired business improvements.
- Measure and monitor the overall performance of onboarding process.
- Gauge employee satisfaction and measure new employee retention.
- Pre-assign office space, supplies, and equipment.
- Formalize a structured orientation process.
- Provide a formal new hire training program.
- Managers set clear expectations and/or goals for new hires.
- Gain support and buy-in from senior management.
- Maintain forms and tasks records at individual and aggregate levels.
- Prescreen candidates to determine cultural fit.
- Data Collection Process from Recruiting modules and Employee.
- Assign a Mentor.
- Set the Leaders Performance Objectives.
- Technology to improve process.
- Prepare for a new employee.
- New employees feel welcome and comfortable in their new surroundings.
- Get new employees productive and integrated into the culture as quickly as possible.
- Reduce New Hire Processing Costs.
- Ensure Compliance Requirements.
- Improve New Hire’s Time-to-Productivity.
- Rapid Immersion into Team Environment and Corporate Culture.
- Increase New Hire Retention.
- Easily Verify and Have Visibility of New Hire’s Onboarding Activities.
Flexible On-premise and Cloud Delivery (SaaS):
Smart Employee Onboarding is offered in flexible delivery models to fit your needs including on-premise as well as cloud delivery (Software-as-a-Service, including private clouds). Along with a traditional on-premise delivery we also offer a SaaS delivery option providing a convenient and predictable pay-as-you-go model. With SaaS delivery, the services grow and shrink with your organization's needs gaining efficiencies by incurring ongoing operating costs for the service instead of capital expenditures. On-premise or in the cloud the options are flexible to suit your needs and budget.